Thursday, December 15, 2016

2017 Trend Predictions

Time for my other annual end-of-year feature, dark-fashion trend predictions for the upcoming year. (Read last year's predictions here -- lol I wasn't very confident). I'm a little more confident this year. I kind of feel that there are two ways this could go--there's the stuff that that the clothing designers are going to try to make a thing (like all that 70s stuff from the recent past), and there's the stuff that's going to come from the community and grow naturally. 


My guess is as good as anyone's, of course. But there's stuff I'm seeing again and again and then there's stuff that appeals to my *ahem* dark, tattered soul. I'm personally loving the more fantasy/LARP/OC cosplay (terms that didn't exist when I joined the scene lol) outfits like the photo above. She's like a vampire gypsy hedge witch or something. It's a creative, original look that tells a story. Nu-goth isn't going to go away because it's so wearable and awesome-looking and solves a problem goths had had since forever--spooky clothes for everyday wear--but I didn't start dressing this way to look like everyone else (modern witch #23579763).

I'm most excited about looks that have a folk vibe, but isn't flagrantly part of a particular culture. What I've described in previous posts as basically the kind of look a fantasy writer would think for some fictional culture that's not Euro-centric. So, think Dothraki instead of King Arthur. 
(flower crowns done right)

 (more metal than fantasy larp, but I still love it)



I'm an ex-cosplayer and sometimes-LARPer and fantasy geek, so yeah, I'd love to see more of this. But the fashion world is continuing it's cyclical decades rotation, so we've been seeing 00s stuff on the runway. Wide-legged pants, dreadfalls, cyber stuff. I almost dropped dead at the drugstore when I saw the netting tube things that were so hard to find 15+ years ago. They were being sold as a "halloween hair accessory," but it was a legit cybergoth dreadfall!! 
controversy! Marc Jacobs spring
90% sure Marc Jacobs fall (too lazy to find my post on this lol)

don't know who this is, but this is the most 00s photo ever for me

me in 00s. damn I loved upping the contrast lol. Don't even have a mouth. Outfit photos are way better these days
So, I think 00s fashion is going to come back, but I don't know if people are really going to start wearing it. I kind of feel like the 00s dark fashion was too recent for people to revisit it. And for some, it never went away. 

All the same, I'd like to see people today (who are armed with Etsy, Instagram, and other stuff we didn't have back then) reimagine 00s looks. They made 90s looks look better than they had in the 90s.

So, what are your trend predictions/wishes for the upcoming year?

14 comments:

  1. I'm eyeing velvet wide-legged pants like damn. I loved them as a kid and seeing them once again in fashion... yeah, I'll probably succumb to this temptation.
    And yes, folkish/fantasy fashion! Truth is, whenever I think 'fantasy' I see ridiculously wide angel sleeves and lacing on the bodice, which I really can't like anymore, but there are so many more ways to do this, like make it postapo or - like you've mentioned - Dothraki-ish and that would be something I'd like to see. LARP fashion really is wearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved loved wide legged pants too but I totally get it now when my mom complained about the hems dragging on the floor. That's so filthy! Only if I find pants that fit lol

      Delete
  2. Yep, I'm looking forward to the folk/fastasy stuff too, perhaps combined with nu - goth for extra comfy outfits. And to think I used to wear heels and corsets on a daily basis, lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how much you make fun of flower crowns. Hahaha! I was excited to get mine because my hair is now longer and I love wearing headbands ;) I also have a soft spot for gothic lolita and pastel goth. I was wearing gothic lolita in the early 2000s, before I even knew the term and/or style ;)

    As far as predictions go, I think yours are pretty dead on. I love the fantasy/Viking styles that are being infused into goth. I think it's always been there, but will be more fantastical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lolita was one of those "better on other people" I always look angry and just don't have the soul of the Lolita to pull off something so...cute. would much rather slay the dragon

      Delete
  4. I, too, would like to see some re-imagined 00's looks......since I am one of the people who is often still stuck in the 00's it would be nice to see some more mature, fashionable, re-vamped cyber stuff. I would be all over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd die from joy of cyber came back and was revamped into something nu. But that was influenced by film and literature...I know from the lit side if it came back it would too be folk. Or retro.

      Delete
  5. I heard the lip gloss is coming back... god forbid! I really hope we won't get the 00s back, with all my love for the dark fashion of that time I think it's too recent, just like you said.
    I do love the folky gothic stuff, like those 2 german goth girls hehe. I have no idea what trends are to come, maybe more metallic stuff? There's been a thing with metallic leather lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope lip gloss doesn't come back...we had good years of bold lipsticks.... And what is the point of them. If I wanted a touch of color I just won't reapply later in the day. Yeah metallics are everywhere these days!

      Delete
  6. I hadn't heard before that LARP would be a certain style that people might wear. But that's probably because seldom people who talk about fashion know what LARP is. :D And I personally think that there are so many genres of LARP that they do not really fit into one style category. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, many different genres. but I'm thinking more fantasy-based LARPs...but also things like Vampire

      Delete
  7. This partially inspired my most recent blog post. I've seen so much discussion about early 2000s goth recently. It seems like it's been on a lot of people's minds recently. Personally I do think we're going to see a comeback. I'm already starting to see more early 2000s goth fashion, though I've also been seeing a lot of mid-2000s emo fashion as well. I'm excited actually, since I missed it the first time around.

    The blog post this inspired: https://cemeterycommentary.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-post-mall-goth-generation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great post! I always wondered about what happened after the mall goths, but I guess it's obvious that they all went online. They certainly have better stuff than we or the mall goths did!

      Delete