Thursday, October 12, 2017

Why isn't gold goth?

For me, personally, this has been the year where I rethink all the conventional dark fashion "rules." And there are rules--there's a difference between someone who is just wearing black and someone who is counter-culture. But for people in high school and college who were dressing this way to be "unique" or "rebellious," I'm sure they were eventually disappointed:
"[I found a place] where I can be appreciated for my originality" 
For some reason, gold was never goth. I have theories: 1: the good stuff was too expensive for youth culture. 2) it traditionally doesn't go with cool-toned pale makeup and blue-black hair. 3) it was popular with parents and old people.

Maybe. I'd argue that it doesn't have to be expensive...you don't need to get solid gold. Brass would work too:



As for it not working with pale makeup, I disagree. The results are striking and different. Vulcan Butterfly recently featured gold accessories that looked amazing, and instragram stars below did as well.

I loved watching her transition to ethno-goth this past year. Gorg!!!

I need to do a dark fashion men post. feel free to take my idea..
I think it's getting popular now for the same reason I switched over a few years ago...Silver got too boring and we wondered, wait a second, how come no one wears gold? And now you stand out in a crowd.
me!
Do you wear gold?

15 comments:

  1. I used to avoid gold like fire, as it was not flattering for my complexion (or so I thought); at the same time, gold jewellery felt a bit... Posh and cheap looking at the same time, if that makes sense. I would actually love to wear gold more and see it in alternative fashion in general, preferably giving this rich, Byzantine vibe.
    Another thing is that I find it very hard to find nice gold-coloured pieces, at least at the high street stores. Or maybe I'm not looking carefully enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I get "posh and cheap looking at the same time"--i think the imitation metals were terrible at the time and the styles were gaudy looking. I've been finding gold and brass in non-goth or counter culture stores (tawapa, free people, Maria tash, forever 21 is where my stuff is from)

      Delete
    2. "Posh and cheap looking at the same time" Just say chavvy, you snob. We know it's what you really mean.

      Delete
  2. I used to only wear gold rings on my left hand to symbolize the masculine spirit but my fiance got me a silver engagement ring so now I'm an all-silver girl. I don't like the way gold tones look on my pink skin.

    I absolutely love your gold collar! It reminds me so much of the Kayan women. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued by the masculine spirit rings...

      I wish I could tell if I have warm or cool toned skin... Would make choosing between gold and silver easier. I think I might be a true neutral

      Delete
    2. I think you may be one of the lucky ones where that is true. That gives you more options! :)

      I've always associated silver with the feminine (moon) and gold with the masculine (sun) and feel that everyone has a bit of both in them. I think that people just tend to show more of one than the other, regardless of gender. Since I am right handed and more feminine, I wore gold rings on my left hand to honor the masculine energies that are less predominant in me.

      I know it sounds weird and maybe over-thought but it works for me. :) I don't want to wear gold and silver on the same hand, though, so I haven't figured out how to make it work now.

      Delete
    3. I don't think it's weird at all! I used to make up my own meanings for the things I used to wear and kind of miss doing that.

      Delete
  3. I used to hate gold, even when I was a kid with no knowledge of existence of gothic subculture. Silver seemed prettier to me, as it's a cold colour and it rarely looks as cheap as gold, because gold is usually very yellow and very shiny. As for goths I always thought it looks more vampiric? (it doesn't make sense, though, vampires avoid silvr...) Or maybe like moonlight? And then I discovered gold actually goes way better with my heavily yellow-toned complexion aaand I was sold.
    And Larissa Ulrique is my inspiration for years, I love to look at her <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was vampiric too! Probably because it's pale? I <3 Larissa too... Probably my favorite Instagramer right now

      Delete
  4. That elf man is gorgeous! The only goth gold I ever saw was the ankhs in The Hunger! I think people should wear what they want! Trying to fit in too much can just make you unhappy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I didn't start dressing odd to fit in lol

      Delete
  5. I don't have a problem with wearing gold accessories. I just usually lean more toward silver. And sometimes brass. But mostly silver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kind of got bored of silver which is why I started trying out different metals, I am trying to find some copper jewellery and I am loving brass and gold right now! Thanks for the shout-out there! I absolutely love your neck-ring choker, man that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete