Sunday, May 10, 2020

Pantone Color of the Year: Classic Blue


It's (sort of) that time of year again! Sorry I'm a little late this year! The color company (yes, that's a thing) Pantone releases its annual Color of the Year, and each year I try to translate this color to something a dark fashion wearer would enjoy, since mainstream fashion stores, makeup companies, and others will be releasing items in this color. Last year, the color of the year, Living Coral, was a color that grew on me. I colored my hair this color and loved it.

 This year, it is my least favorite color ever, Classic Blue, a color that is "elegant" and "thought-provoking" and "stable." For dark fashion, I feel like this is a color that's better suited for makeup and hair:


Fenty Beauty

Blue hair and lipstick are a good alternative to black. It's icy and cold. But for outfits, it looks too much like denim to be effective as dark fashion. In my cybergoth years, I've tried every color under the sun, and blue always, always failed hard. I've never seen anyone pull it off. 

Tripp--denim blue plus reflective strips--you look like a utility worker. 
This color of blue will always remind people of blue jeans, no matter what the fabric is. Even if it's vinyl. Even if it's just decorative details, like this very early-00s Dollskill outfit I could have worn to a Limp Bizkit show:

Apparel-wise, I think the Color of the Year should just be worn by the obvious: denim. How to make blue jeans dark fashion is a question for another day, but personally I feel you can't goth up a color that instantly reminds people of the pair of jeans they have in their closet. On the plus side, it is a good casual look:
Dollskill--I like the glasses and boots--the kind of grunge and cyberpunk mix i'm very nostalgic for atm. She looks like she's going to phreak a payphone.
Levi's, from Dollskill
Looks like the slipknot S on her sleeve. I don't know why Dollskill wants the 00s to return so bad.
Do you wear anything blue? How would you wear the Color of the Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment