Sunday, May 24, 2020

Trend: Chain Necklaces


You know what I haven't worn in over 20 years? Chain necklaces. I don't mean dainty chains--I mean the industrial ones you would get at a hardware store. When worn with a spiked collar (like in the above Widow photo), it was a pretty badass look in the late 90s, early 00s. I'm liking it with the updated hair and makeup in the photo above. Though I won't hate it with the choppy highlights and panda eyes of the 00s.




Dollskill
All styles incorporated them: punk, grunge, goth, industrial, hip hop, skater (remember that was a thing?), metal, biker--basically if you were even a little bit off the mainstream, you wore them...until you didn't. This was how I typically wore mine:


Typical of how I wore chains back in early 2000s, with period-appropriate hair lol. Chain is actually a wallet chain.

Why did they go out of style? I personally stopped wearing them when I got into more romantic goth styles and steampunk-inspired looks and then ditched it entirely for the minimalist/nugoth looks of late 2000s and 2010. I've never seen anyone wearing any chains--necklaces, bracelets, wallet chains--in Chicago or New York City until about two years ago, when I noticed people wearing wallet chains on the train, which was bizarre. Then more strangeness--a Korn shirt at Topshop, Jnco coming back, a few runway shows that were clearly inspired by 00s fashion--and suddenly chains were popping up at retail stores.

At least, at retail stores in the before-time. I haven't been in a retail store on Fifth Avenue since February. Who knows what is going on right now. New York is a dead city.

Online, I'm seeing a number of influencers wear them:


xknifeplay is going for a 90s look here that almost looks DIY (it isn't--everything is from
Dollskill, I believe). I personally went to the hardware store and DIYed chain necklaces and wallet chains--it was very easy to do. Just have the employee cut to size and then put a key ring or ring and you are good to go. Paired with 90s "bed head" you've got a pretty authentic (minus the makeup) 90s alternative look, like you're a gutterpunk living on the streets, cobbling together jewelry from the shit you find. Maybe you'll use 'em like a weapon like you're in a biker gang 'cause you're scrappy and improvise like that.


Obsidiankerttu, if you haven't noticed with all the smoothing going on, is going for a sleeker look here, which is a more modern interpretation. From the streets, but make it fashion. There are some cyber influences as well. I remember trying to make chains work with cybergoth in the past and I ultimately cut them from my look because they're too grungy to work with sleek. It doesn't really fit the story of the look--in what situation would Spaceship Cyborg come across chains you'd find in the street? The styles are too conflicting, IMO. Between Knife and Obsidian, I'd say Knifeplay looks more like an authentic person with a story and Obsidian looks more like styling for fashion shoot. (I'm aware they are both styling for a fashion shoot.)


I got the below chain necklace from NYC-based Bitch Fist on a lark (one of many, many quarantine purchases lol) and I'm styling it with some more modern makeup and a plain black T-shirt. I went for a more casual/grungy look, which I think is more fitting for looking like a badass. I also paired it with a Maya Jewelry's Pamela style in white brass (the barbed wire hoop earrings).  Go big or go home :)




Do chains fit your aesthetic?




2 comments: