Sunday, May 17, 2020

When you're tired of all your clothes

If you've ever looked at your closet and thought, "I have nothing to wear!" or if you find yourself hating how you look, that you don't have a sense of style anymore, that you lost your passion for fashion, or you just hate everything new coming out and wonder what's wrong with you, this post is for you.
I would never wear this again--I sold or donated everything



1. Get rid of or store anything you haven't worn. 

Some of your clothing is out of date, or out of date for you. If you aren't wearing it, or don't plan on wearing it in the next few months give it or store it. For me, it's button-up shirts--for whatever reason, I woke up hating them one day and thought I was ugly every time I wore one. I hid them all away and now I won't wear something that makes me feel ugly. The other thing is that you might be tired of your clothes because you keep staring at them.

2. Sometimes it's not you. Sometimes the trends suck and you're going to seem out of date and forced to wear old stuff you're tired of.

trendy fast-fashion garbage from zara

The usual advice when you've lost your style is to go shopping, find something new that speaks to you. But brands copy each other and there will be a time when everything in the store just isn't right for your body type, skin color, etc. You're not going crazy. Sometimes trends just suck. But that won't stop people from buying them, making you feel more out of date. I suggest looking for brands that aren't following trends or wearing classic styles that never go out of style. 

3. Get a new haircut/hair color


long blond hair...
short black hair...I look like different people

The easiest way to be inspired by the clothes you're bored of is to change something you have to wear every day: your hair. The more drastic the change, the more different your clothing will seem. Sometimes it's really that simple. A new pair of glasses or earrings or something else you wear every day will do the same. 

4. Dress up, rather than down

Clothing won't fix the emotional problems we deal with every day. But while you are dealing, I know it's hard, but try dressing up instead of down. This is kind of like the psychological trick of how a smile can physically make you slightly happier. Wear more formal, classic, stuffy clothing. People will treat you with respect and you'll be surprised by the fancy person in the mirror. At worst, you will remain feeling terrible, but you'll gain the respect of others. At best, the level of respect you've shown yourself in your clothing will effect you emotionally and you'll feel better about yourself.
dead inside, but still professional
True story--I had this ugly sweatshirt I wore when I was depressed and EVERYONE treated me like garbage in it because it was in really bad shape. That didn't help my emotional state at all. Wear the same thing over and over again to ease the emotional labor of thinking of new outfits--wear your fancy thing with the same thoughtless ease as your ugly sweatshirt.

5. Play dress-up

Cosplay with your wardrobe, make silly outfits, put together a outfit for an event real or imagined. Associate your wardrobe with something fun instead of just getting dressed for your day-to-day activities. Give your looks names.

Vampire Cheerleader
How do you get out of a style funk?

3 comments:

  1. I hated dressing feminine until I cut all my hair off, and it changed everything for me because I felt like I had a good balance of masculine/feminine that made me infinitely more comfortable in a dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really amazing how hair changes the entire look of a person. I'm the same way about feminine styles--it's not my personality. But when I am bald, I love the contrast. It's like getting a whole new wardrobe, because allll that crap comes out haha.

      Delete
  2. This sounds like excellent advice! I fear getting buried under all of the clothes I will never wear again. I should definitely give them away... even ifI have to go without new ones and just run around in my panties for a while... and if it's out in public all the media attention featuring me in my knickers would serve me right!

    My panty modelling and review blog Full Brief Panties
    My panty review YouTube (misterpantybuns's channel) customer blouse and panty review videos
    My Twitter @Panty_Buns

    ReplyDelete