Sunday, May 3, 2020

Wearable Cyberpunk

I am DYING for Cyberpunk 2077 to come out and with day 60+ of wearing masks and having digital dance parties, I mean, the cyberpunk apocalypse is upon us. I mean, I thought I'd be wearing light-up masks and not an n95 I bought at the hardware store.
cyberdog--also don't wear this mask for Covid--look at those holes.



from my Geocities days


In the 2000s cyperpunk fashion was my jam. Dreadfalls, accessories from Home Depot (wires, chains etc), New Rocks every day. With current events and the game coming out, and my being tired with my look today, I'm being very nostalgic for those old looks. But I'm not going to bust out the leg warmers and goggles. My life has changed dramatically since 2000 and I don't have the space or use for anything I can't wear to work or on the subway. When I wear cyber-inspired outfits today, they are from non-goth brands, like this dress by RVN.

My RVN dress

But goth brands are a lot more fun to shop, and I don't want the toned-down version. I want something costumey this time around. So join me while I make what will hopefully be a wearable outfit from (mostly) goth brands.

Step 1: Shoes

The most important item in a cyberpunk's wardrobe is shoes. Choose your fighter: the lowdown street urchin or the battlebot. For the former, I would recommend a Balenciaga dupe sock shoe, like this one from Shein. The sock shoe didn't really exist in 2000, so it isn't part of the cybergoth canon, but I'd say the sleekness of it fits with the aesthetic. The only downside is that it's so casual and mainstream that you might look more athletic goth than cyber.


Shein
But so comfortable...FYI these are going to replace Crocs for geriatric footwear lol. Update: I just googled it and yeah: 


For a less casual shoe and one that is more costumey but still work-appropriate, I suggest something like this New Rock boot, which I'm wondering if I should get or not--I bought the ones below in 2020 and they've definitely seen better days. I love them so hard, but they no longer fit my lifestyle. My 2000 New Rocks have way too much embellishment and the top one still has the military and futuristic details that traditional cyberpunk embodies (and is probably lighter as well.)


Accept no substitutes for the quality of New Rocks, like this Azalea Wang boot, which is totally due for a lawsuit, lol. I doubt this one will last 20 years. 

I recommend that you stay away from too many embellishments (even with the maximillism trend):

Also stay away from neon and high heels. The former is too much for everyday and the brands currently doing this look like "clubbing" brands, meant to be worn a few nights a year, not every day. Looks very cool though. If this wasn't made of foam, cardboard, and plastic, I'd definitely buy these. High heels look way too much like clubbing shoes, and I would argue that high heels aren't traditionally cyberpunk, which is a more masculine aesthetic--I realize I've never done a post on what the traditional aesthetic is...a post for another day. The closest I've gone is this post you're reading and this one on mirrorshades
club ex, from dollskill.

Step 2: Pants

Leggings are an obvious choice. Ones with black and shiny details that make you look like a cyborg are a good bet and if you're wearing it with a dress, tunic, or skirt, noncontroversial for any job you have.

Killstar

Or just plain black leggings or nylons are fine tbh. Traditionally, the focus of the outfit was on the shoes or hair, so if you are already wearing interesting shoes, it will be too much to wear cyber pants. 

But there are cyber pants that I like, like these from Punk Rave, being sold at Dark In Closet. So you're basically dressing like an action figure, and action figures have a lot of pockets. These are also pants that will tuck into boots--biggest problem in the 2000s was how all pants were wide-legged or bell bottoms, so you were out of luck if you wanted to show off your killer boots and still wanted to wear pants. Not anymore...


These are definitely a more athletic look than leggings, but they've got buckles and pockets and a military look. I would style them exactly as they did in the above. With a sock shoe, it will probably be too casual/athletic since these basically look like sweatpants.

I would recommend that you not wear anything with bondage straps or neon or wild designs--that's more photoshoot territory than something you'd wear every day.

Step 3: Tops

For tops, there just aren't a lot of fashionable ones that fit the criteria. A lot of it looks like clubwear or is Mad Max cosplay. The goth brands that popped up in the last decade just don't get the cyberpunk aesthetic IMO. But there's a cyber brand that's still around from the old days. Cyberdog was one of those brands--I remember it being prohibitively expensive when I dressed in the style, and a lot of the outfits aren't wearable outside of club--and even then it's pushing it. Some of it is downright Jetsons. 
cyberdog: btw I bought this top. lol I'll let you know if I can make it everyday wear
I did find one top that could pass for everyday, albeit high fashion. It's not worn on a model, so who knows what it looks like--I also got this top. I'll let you know. Past me is thrilled that I finally have something from this brand, but is also pretty judgy that I didn't DIY it. Oh well!

I like the above two tops because there are some very non-watered-down cyber elements that fit the aesthetic but it doesn't look like a costume (well maybe not so much Trinity from the Matrix up there). Most of my cybergoth outfits in the early 2000s were either classic unadorned T's or tops with geometric necklines. Maybe a biohazard symbol here and there, usually DIY. I don't think you can go wrong with a minimalist top, but I do suggest you stay away from the following. Popular brands are pictured here, but this can be applied to indie brands as well.

Clubwear:

killstar: any corsetlike looks are clubwear.
Mad Max/Vintage Military/and other Cosplay shit, even if it's a tiny bit inspired:
mad max stuff from Punk Rave
Too many embellishments:
Killstar of course. I don't know what is going on over there. Terrible. Someone take the keys away from them. Btw if you want 5% off use this link lol: https://prz.io/QVo3epf6

How would you make cyberpunk work for everyday?

2 comments:

  1. I was definitely always interested in more wearable fashion like this, being a sci-fi fan. If I had the money I'd buy from Crisiswear and Plastik Wrap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog on Wearable Cyberpunk is a journey into the future of fashion! Absolutely captivated by the edgy, tech-infused style suggestions. Ready to bring a touch of Cyberpunk to my wardrobe! cyberpunk accessories

    ReplyDelete