Friday, June 20, 2014

What's in my closet, but I haven't worn yet

Part of this challenge.

What's in my closet that I haven't worn yet? Easy: this top. Velvet lace design/sheer/fringe/crop...you can see why I bought this. I wanted something witchy to wear in the summer when I read tarot cards at the cafe, so I thought this would be awesome.

I bought it in December. Why haven't I worn it? for one thing it was cold. Another thing, it's sheer. Anyone else have a problem with black sheer things? All my things are black, so when I layer black-on-black sheer...you can't see anything. What's the point? I've got a black bralette which would work well...but the thing's uncomfortable. Also, the fit is kind of ...off. You can see how square it is on the bottom picture. so it's kind of baggy. I look kind of saggy baggy in it. It almost looks home-sewn.


velvet fringe top crop

velvet fringe top crop featuring a fringe crop top

Here's my polyvore set with stuff I'd wear it with...with stuff I actually own. Left to right: I've got a very trad-goth lacy full skirt...but that's kind of out of style. I've got velvet bellbottoms from the 90s (can you GET any more 90s) but it's low-rise, like all things were back then--too much skin. Also velvet for the summer...yeesh. I've also got the very-today nu-goth sheer skirt...but that's kind of a different aesthetic from the boho gypsy top. next up is the miniskirt...it's not bad...probably what I'll wear it with. and finally high-waisted short shorts...probably what i'll wear it with. Jewelry: my usual, plus black feather earrings...which I also haven't worn yet!!! my moonstone moon necklace. 

Honestly, i'm not a fan of any of any of those looks.

Suggestions on how to style this  boxy boho crop top are VERY welcome!

11 comments:

  1. I would pair them with-
    -loose fit pants, the slightly baggy ones with elastic at the waist and ankles and black sandals.
    -over a black slip dress
    -shorts and a kimono-ish top layered with it
    -capris and a moto vest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! helpful. yeah i definitely mean to buy a kimono coverup!

      Delete
  2. Hm...unfortunately my list of things I bought, but haven't worn is a lot longer...:P

    I like the top, but I'd most likely just shy away from it too...It looks best with the miniskirt and the shorts and maybe you could add a shawl - is it called a shawl? :D - or something for the festival - fortune teller look. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's definitely got a festival vibe, right? i'd almost say its more festival than fortune teller. maybe that's why i'm having problems. a shawl is a great idea

      Delete
  3. oh i get ja. I have a few see through tops that i am too shy to wear to university, but which are too boring to match with an edgy trad goth party look. i feel like sometimes long tops are tricky to wear with high waist things, even though the tops are see through. the complications of mix matching...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah this exactly falls into that category. too lame for a party, too much for a professional setting.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is cool! I reckon it would look good over a red or berry coloured top to really show off the pattern! I would love to learn to read tarot, too many things to do, too little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's a great idea.... And those colors totally fit the aesthetic

      Delete
  5. I'm on the same lines with Cody and Laura Morrigan. Red would really show those patterns of the top but I would choose a red slim (but elastic) dress like one of Cody's suggestions. As you said that top is a bit baggy, so I would try to highlight the shape of the body underneath. It would be awesome if that dress had similar fringes like that top. Then some accessories and the outfit is done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would wear it with a maxi skirt (either white or black), a hat and some pointy boots, to keep that witchy vibe going :3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing top! I would wear it with a pair of black or white jeans, and maybe a (maxi) skirt, also black or white. You can also add a dash of colour to it by wearing a red undertop.

    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete