Friday, June 23, 2017

Wallets

I've had exactly one wallet I liked... The one I used for the last 10 years (I know). Before that I just had my cards and money loose in my bag/pocket. (I know)

My sister thought I was crazy at the time for spending $80 on this tiny piece of leather, but this was the first time I saw a super slim wallet that could actually fit in those dumb tiny women's pants pockets:
It is now hilariously out-of-date

It doesn't carry cash, which is kind of annoying. Not as annoying as carrying a wallet that it's basically a purse, despite being cool looking:
Killstar $45

WTF... Why do you need so many cards??? This is basically a purse for your purse. Size:


A coffin wallet for your coffin bag. 
Honestly Killstar is "killing" it with their wallets. They are awesome. I wish they made cool tiny wallets, for those of us who don't carry bags.

For pocket users like me, wallet chains are actually coming back. I can't believe it either. But I'm seeing a lot of people in NYC with them. The above is a nice size for tiny pockets.

If I had an iPhone, I'd get a case like this. Case closed. So I'm a wierdo and I don't carry a bag even if I don't have pockets. I just hold my wallet and phone in my hand, lol. This was basically designed for me, but alas, I use Android.


H and M has some nice modern styles. This Holo one especially! But it's a bit too trendy and will look out of date. But it'll probably rip or peel by then because it's cheap.

Of course, leather will last longer. And something high-end will never go out of style... Except for maybe the wallets that also hold a phone. Who knows what size the next generation of phones will be? The above Coach is $150, which is crazy if the next phone you get won't fit in it.
Pokemon wallet from Hot Topic
Licenced/fandom wallets are also fun. It's a surprising and understated way to show your geekiness.

I ended up marrying the last two and getting a high-end geeky wallet that will hopefully last me another decade: Coach's newest collection, partnering with NASA:


When I saw the NASA collection, I lost my mind, lol. It's the same size as my phone, so slightly bigger than my old wallet, but just as slim. Here's the two next to each other:
What kind of wallet do you use? Prefer? How often do you get a new wallet?

11 comments:

  1. "WTF... Why do you need so many cards???"

    I can't agree more! I have a Killstar wallet with the same layout. I've found that the card slots are actually too flimsy/small to use properly so I just use the one large zip pocket for everything (cards, cash, change, recipes).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh that sucks! Their wallets look so cool. I wish they were more practical...

      Delete
  2. I've had the same wallet for about 10 years, just the typical size smallish wallet for cards and cash, in a nice shade of green easy to find in a black lined bag. I'll probably need a new one soon, and I just want something small and not too expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually have no pockets so small size is nice to carry in your hand if you pop out for something without a bag

      Delete
    2. Yeah I like colored wallets too for that same reason. When I use a bag, I use a cavernous tote bag, and a tiny black wallet would be impossible to find. Nice to know I'm not the only one who likes small wallets.... Seems like everyone does. Why does everyone make huge wallets? Who is using them?

      Delete
  3. Why don't you just get one of those flip wallet cases for androids. I use one on my Samsung. :D I bought my black wallet when I was about 7, from a flea market. It is real leather so it's still in good condition after all these years and it's still in every day use. It's small, but not too small. Holds my cash and everything I need.

    I have longed for a big fancy wallet every now and then. But I know I would just get either frustrated or sad when it breaks after a while or it's too big to carry around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the flip wallet for a week, and found it too fussy! Good for you for having such a dependable wallet for all these years, and for not caving in and getting a wallet that's impractical. I've made that mistake when I was younger and still have to remind myself from time to time

      Delete
  4. I used to have many different wallets, one super retro and colorfull, another was just black leather, another gold and oriental... but they were too big for me and I decided to live from recycled tetrapack wallet. They are really easy to create, always original and safe, because even if someone would get that it's a wallet, he would think that there's nothing in it, cause it just looks like you're so poor you can't buy a proper wallet :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those recycled wallets! Especially how thin they are!

      Delete
  5. OMG, the NASA wallet! That is pretty awesome. I have one "wallet", which is huge, that I only have because it is easy to move between my two purses if I need to switch bags for the sake of matching. I definitely won't laugh at you for keeping a wallet for 10 years; I buy a lot of clothes and accessories but if I can find a good boot or bag, I will keep it FOREVER if I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol i regret not buying 2 of something if I love it so much

      Delete