Thursday, January 18, 2018

Pantone's 2018 color of the year: Ultra Violet


New Year, new Color of the Year. This year it's Ultra Violet. While I didn't see last year's color, Greenery too many places (though I didn't go shopping as much this year), they were spot-on in the years past with Rose Quartz (aka "millennial pink") and Marsala (aka "oxblood") the years before.

The bold colors continue with the whole "maximalism" or "extra" trend with violet. Pantone says:
 I bet it takes our awareness to a higher level! Also, a few years too late for the galaxy trend, Pantone. But truth is, purple has been in the dark fashion scene forever. I would say it's probably the most prevalent color after red in romantic goth looks, as I show for an old pantone post I did to demonstrate the 00s goth look:


Basically the over-the-top styles of the 00s are coming back, so dust off your chokers and corsets and big bell sleeves, as well as your mall goth bondage pants (I hope not) and d-rings. Why not purple? I think this can be updated for today with purple in different textures like velvet or iridescent or shimmery fabric.


In the 00s, I used to dye my hair bright purple, and wear purple eyeshadow and lipstick--everything was so over-the-top back then, and this color instantly reminds me of that time. 

Today, one of my favorite ways to wear purple today is amethyst jewelry:
Also lipstick:
I think that works for 2018--plus eyeshadow. I don't wear eyeshadow because I wear glasses, but there are ladies and gents that have killer eyeshadow and purple would make a great highlight for eye looks.


Do you wear purple? How do you like to wear it?

9 comments:

  1. To tell the truth, the first thing that caught my eye white reading this was your prevalent use of word 'purple', even if the colour is called 'violet' XD I actually know why it's like this and it always amazes me, because in my language none of things you've shown here qualifies as purple. Also, 'blue-based purple' - well, for me it sounds contradictory. It's insane, I should write something about it one day...

    I don't wear violets and purples lately - I used to during my romantigoth phase (lol, of course). I still like them a lot - but, sadly, they don't go well with my complexion, especially when I don't dye my hair pitch-black anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love how variations in language changes how one sees things. Lol yes I'm color blind to purple vs violet... Both are pretty much used interchangeably where I'm from... Violet's a little more poetic lol

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy purple is comming back to mainstream again I love purple it just feels like a timeless colour. Defintly my favourite colour.I used purple in my bedrooms and living room. It goes so well with most colours. Intend to love using purple as accessory colour with black. Long may purple rein lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a great colour! I've liked purple since i was a kid although I'm more into blue at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked purple when I was a kid too... Pink's too girly, blue is too boyish. Purple was cool! I also liked green for the same reason

      Delete
  4. I was just going to turf a purple latex dress from my closet as the colour is terrible on me......maybe I'll wear it out one more time this year! I think I will crack out some purple eyeshadow for 2018, it looks good with brown eyes. I like the idea about purple stones in jewellery, I think I'll try that too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very excited about this as I wear more monochrome purple than monochrome black outfits. I have to say it seems really off in this decade though.

    ReplyDelete