Friday, June 19, 2015

Day Trip: Sleepy Hollow

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
Whoops! I'm a day late for our regularly scheduled weekly posts. Since everyone else is documenting cemetery visits, I'll share ones from my recent visit to Sleepy Hollow, New York.

It's amazing that a lot of New Yorkers don't know that Sleepy Hollow is a real place and, yes, it's an hour away from Grand Central station. 


Sleepy Hollow is most known for Washington Irving's story about the headless horseman, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Washington Irving is, of course, buried in the cemetery:



The residents love the Legend's headless horseman, and he appears everywhere. Even on the police cars, like the officers are still protecting the residents from the headless horseman.

Street signs

The local brew. He's holding a beer!

Here's the headless horseman bridge in the cemetery

a random peek inside a mausoleum 





I also recommend going on the Kykuit mansion tour. Kykuit was one of the Rockefeller's mansions, and has breathtaking views of the Hudson Valley. And of course Gilded Age elegance







the roses were in full bloom!




Any literary day trips by your town?

13 comments:

  1. Wow, that mansion is stunning. I've always liked The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, I'd love to check out the cemetery some day. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to reread the book. Glad you liked the pictures!

      Delete
  2. It is a really beautiful \place! I want to go one day! Maybe I could live in that mansion. Ha ha, I wish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh so beautiful! *o* It's definitely going to my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cool! I didn´t know it was a real place, it looks beautiful!
    put some grain effect on that roses picture and you´ll get a tumblr bomb

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is incredible! in the nearest city to where I live (about 30 minutes away in Bath) they have thr Jane Austen centre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I've always wanted to go to Bath! I hear it's awesome...from all the regency romances I read. I'm sure those are legit sources and Bath is exactly the lovely place I imagine it to be

      Delete
  6. I feel like a huge idiot now, I had no idea that Sleepy Hollow was a real place. Mind blown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel bad... There's people an hour away who don't know it's a real place

      Delete
  7. can someone take me there right now please? <3 looks amazing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete