Friday, November 29, 2013

Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit

Just came back from the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit at the Brooklyn Museum. It was pretty cool. I know you guys know all about him, but if you don't, he's the guy who did Madonna's famous corset. (btw all the photos here are photos I took at the exhibit). I went with my mom (who's in town), who's a huge fan of his work since the 80s.

one of his illustrations
I'm just going to go ahead and say that the wheat and straw corset from 2006 was my favorite thing in the entire exhibit. spoke to my midwest soul, i suppose. 







More corsets, since that's what he's mostly known for:

this is actually NOT metal. Gold-painted leather


same here: painted leather

the exhibit space
After the corset room was the punk room, which had pieces from the late 80s and 90s mixed with recent pieces. You can see how styles keep coming back.

When I saw this, I was instantly transported to my junior high days. but no, this is from 1982

then i saw this. and i was right. 1997. patches, mermaid tail, cameo...is there anything NOT 1997 about this?

shirt from 1987, jacket 2013. also cod piece.

2007

cool boots!!! wish i saw what year these are from.

"designer punk" is soooo gaudy sometimes.
sure do look like those jeffrey campbell boots right? these are from 1988
Next up was the sexy room, where you can see all the current trends that Gaultier presented 5+ years ago.
skeleton corset

looks like black milk copied someone with the muscle bodysuit

sequin circulatory system



More from the sexy room:






Next up was what I jokingly called the "cultural appropriation room"



closeup. I LOVE the sash and hand with the bull coin purse. sooo cool






not a real pelt...it's actually BEADED




this was the Australian one.

the russian one
outfit shot. you'll see I cut my hair. also wearing a cape. mom took this picture... obviously she hasn't figured out how to remove the date stamp from her camera....Also my mom made me wear the scarf she got me. said i needed a pop of color. I DON'T NEED A POP OF COLOR MOM...ALL-BLACK IS TOTALLY COOL is what i didn't say cause I didn't want to hurt her feelings.

mom was amused by my platforms.

posing in my favorite landscape at the museum

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of high fashion, but the exhibit looks amazing!!! I would love to check it out, the details in each piece look so beautiful!! And yes, those boots look insane!! O_O
    Also you're very pretty! Long time no outfits + face see ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. d'aww thanks. yeah i need to take more outfit photos, but those take forever and I won't have that kind of time till mid-December. :(

      Delete
  2. Holy crap! Thank you for sharing this, Jean Paul Gaultier is my favorite designer! /faints.
    You look amazing, the photos are amazing. Enough said ;)

    ReplyDelete