Thursday, December 20, 2018

2018 Trend Recap

I'm back! Those of you who follow me on Instagram @5thAvenueGoth know that I've been recently laid off from my job. Fun fact is that this blog started while I was looking for work, and since I've got some time on my hands now, I'll return to blogging. Instagram isn't really good for the commentary I like to do, and I'm still toying with the idea of doing YouTube--that's where I go for fashion commentary myself, so it makes sense that the audience who is interested in dark fashion commentary would be there as well. 

It's that time of year again, when I recap the 2018 dark fashion trends. Still enjoying wearing cold-shoulder tops? See where they started in the 2017 recap. Are you gluing things to your forehead? Check out the 2016 Recap





Maximalism: This is the nicer term for Mall Goth. Granted most of the people I see today wearing this weren't around in the early 2000s, when hanging straps, belts, metal plates, D-rings (not really the piercing-like rings in the Restyle bag above--that's new), zippers, spikes, chains, and other hanging shit was in style.  It's not just the goth brands either. Brands from Gucci to H+M are over-embellishing their garments. I can't believe this is popular again, but then I remember this hasn't been seen in 20 years. I wonder if the minds of younger people are being blown as mine was back in the day. Either way, I don't think this is going away anytime soon. At least there aren't safety pins everywhere like before...


Next up we have chains: Another jangly embellishment from the early 2000s, but utilized in so many different ways I think it should be its own category. Nu-goth's minimal style didn't use chains, so I was surprised to see Killstar, a brand made popular by nu-goth trends, add a bunch of chains to a harness. Chains are being added to belts, like the Zana Bayne corset belt above and shoe-like torture devices by Demonia, to clothing and accessories by fast fashion retailers like  H+M and Forever 21. I used to DIY my own necklaces like the one from Dolls Kill from materials from the hardware store during my rivethead days. I'm seeing this everywhere, including wallet chains. Believe it or not, I see people in NYC on the subways in wallet chains now. Boots, shoes, dresses, jewelry all have industrial-looking chains. Some garments in the early 2010s had chains as well, but those were delicate. 

Everywhere you looked in 2018 had sheer or lace garments, panels, or details, no matter the season. During the summer, everyone was wearing sheer socks with sandals--both people who wear dark fashion and people who wear mainstream fashion. I don't know why socks and sandals are so taboo--I think it looks awesome! Also everyone was wearing fishnets all of a sudden--they were out of style for some time and then they came back, especially if worn it past the waistline of your pants/skirt

Makeup from the past few years were matte and now everything is shiny. Glossy lips, iridescent shimmer, sparkly eye shadow. Just another way everything's so over-the-top now!



PVC is a Mall Goth fabric that's making a comeback. I'm also seeing more false hair. Dreads are also from the 00s, but wigs are a holdover from nu-goth fashion, when people realized it was very difficult to die hair that perfect pastel pink or gray or white. Moons were probably the most recognizably nugoth design ever, popular starting in 2014. As was drawing lines and dots on your face. In fact I was surprised to see much of what was popular in 2014 return.

Did I miss anything?

5 comments:

  1. I felt as though headdresses were a ubiquitous accessory for 2018; it goes hand in hand with your maximalist observations, and also ties in with the celestial/occult vibes that were quite heavy this year.
    I was quite ambivalent to fashion this year... but since I looked like a sack of potatoes for most of the year, I guess that tells me why lol.

    Good to have you back! But I also hope you land a job you want =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the spouse will be thrilled to find out wallet chains are back in vogue!

    I do apologize - I had no idea you and 5th Avenue Goth were related. So slow sometimes. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you and everyone else. I've done this blog so long it's a shame to change the name--but I've kind of always hated the name lol

      Delete