Thursday, January 24, 2019

Comme Des Garcons Men's Fall Winter 2019

For all of you who like masculine fashion, I'd love to share the newest collection from Comme Des Garcons, which has some great dark fashion looks that I feel are classic. Normally men's runway fashion is unwearable, but this collection was inspiring. It's kind of the nu-goth update to old-school industrial styles that I've been waiting for.


The look is easy to replicate. It mostly consists of classic old-school staples like something black and shiny, fishnets, and leather accessories including boot belts and harnesses:


Sometimes long, slim, graceful silhouettes are favored. (I would not recommend doing this if you have short tiny legs like me)

Sometimes, texture like tassels or something furry was also added. As for makeup and hair, I'm glad they went with something more grungy/industrial. I've always preferred sloppy hair and makeup for masculine looks, like you just finished kicking ass or fighting in the apocalypse. 

My Favorite Looks


The overall look reminds me of when metalheads dress goth, and I always think that's a great masculine look: the cut of a long sleeve shirt and slim pants (and his hair) make me think metal, and the studs, fishnets, and makeup are definitely dark fashion.


This next look is a great example of a nu-goth update to industrial fashion: fishnets, clean lines, statement accessories, metal hardware, and a shapeless black thing 


Back in the day, I also used to wear high socks to give the illusion of boots, but sometimes it looks a bit boyish, depending on the rest of your outfit. My favorite thing about this look is whatever that braided scarf thing is. I'm going to find a way to make that...

Who knew fringe could look so masculine! That's because with the rest of the outfit, it kind of gives a distressed texture to an otherwise clean look. I love the easy and comfortable nu-goth style of this works so perfectly with the boots, socks, fishnet, and ankle belts industrial staples. I'm not a fan of suit jackets in general, but it makes an otherwise effeminate tunic look butch.


Mainstream men's fashion has shortened men's shorts in general, and this is flattering for most people, unless you have exceptionally long legs. I love how this shows off the fishnets and embellished boots, which is always the focal point when you wear clothing in these proportions. Industrial fashion was a very boots-heavy look, and wearing a pair of bad-ass boots automatically makes you a badass, no matter what else you are wearing.

Dislikes

My dislikes in the collection illustrate the reasons why any dark fashion look might fail.

Here we have conflicting tones, as in we have items that might work individually, but together tell a mixed message. The romantic brocade jacket, the kick-ass boots, and modern gothic tunic all look like they should be worn by three separate individuals and not one person at the same time. That's why you get an unintentionally humerous look of Postapocalyptic Vampire Ninja.


Like the last look, but a lot more "runway." Here we have Mafioso Leather Daddy. Honestly the collection just loses it when it strays from solid black and starts adding patterns. You have to really know what you are doing when you mix fishnets with any other pattern.


The collection also falls apart when it starts adding color. Just as with mainstream fashion, adding pops of color to a masculine look immediately makes it fun and playful, and when you want to be the darkness everyone fears, a splash of green and a checked pattern may look like you don't know what you're doing.


If I ever do a "don'ts" for dark fashion, I'd put fishnets head-to-toe for an everyday look as a big don't. The fishnets well never match, so you will never look put-together, and even if that's the intent it just makes you look either fetish or a bag of oranges at the grocery store.

What were your likes/dislikes on the collection?

3 comments: