Thursday, May 14, 2015

Trend: Macrame

So as I've been faithfully reporting, the fashion gods have decided that we need 70s shit, so here it comes. Also I actually had some time to head to a few fast-fashion stores and noticed 1) damn, the 70s shit is here and 2) my 2014 trend prediction of unusual hair accessories doesn't seem to be a 2014 trend, but a 2015 trend. Maybe I'm so great at trend predictions, i'm TWO years ahead, baby. But that's another post for later.

So yeah, I saw a large amount of macrame stuff (a craft style that's based on knot-tying) at the stores. I feel like a few years ago that meant the trend is already over, but since those stores knock off runway fashion so quickly and efficiently, maybe it'll stay around.
macrame


For dark fashion, I could see more Victorian (read on) uses than 70s uses. Fringes, decorative elements and not the 70s, uh, rope tops. But I could also see a lot of 70s home designs being redone in black. Like the lamp below. It would be cool if it weren't in those terrible colors. (lol one of the colors in the lamp is this year's Color of the Year)

Macrame, as you can guess, has been around forever. It was also popular during the Victorian era and the 1970s. And now 2015.

1882, from Sylvia's Book of Macrame, which you can read in its entirety here. Popular for fringes and other decorative touches.



70s

so yeah: true story: I hated this shit growing up. That lamp is making me sneeze right now.


And here's 2015
Macrame



This is a standard look for gypsy, boho, hippy styles. And it is relatively easy to DIY. I've reached out to some macrame artists on Instagram and they all recommend watching YouTube videos if you want to learn how to do this.
from this diy. I plan on redoing this necklace. I'm sorry, but I just can't wear white.
Oh and, the earring that started my favorable view of this trend:

Thoughts on this trend? I'd like to give the DIYs a try, since I have all the materials from my crochet work. I personally like the Victorian stuff more, esp. the fringes. I'd really like to DIY the "side pocket" purse in the illustration above. (btw, a public-domain-crafts blog post is in the works. Maybe up by next Thursday but no promises!)

12 comments:

  1. I love the black version only, colors make macrame look like grandma stuff. would love me a fringe skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, colors look very grandma or 70s. The modern versions are using neutral colors, I think for that reason. Personally I don't think anyone wants the 70s to come back

      Delete
  2. Kind of in agreement with you on this. I think like the black victorian stuff, but really not much else about it apart from how easy it looks to DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kind of in agreement with you on this. I think like the black victorian stuff, but really not much else about it apart from how easy it looks to DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a fashion vocabulary of the gods, I swear! I had absolutely no idea this 'thing' was called macarme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am more into the lacy thing but any drapey shawls are liable to catch my eye...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would probably be an easy diy to add a macrame trim to a shawl

      Delete
  6. I like this style more on other people than me. Partly it has been because I lived my whole childhood and periods of time after it with dogs that like to jump around and cuddle and their nails might get caught in macrames and laces. :( Still, I think many hobo and occultist looks are amazing! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you just reminded me of my cat, who did the same

      Delete